Step by step guide:
- Prepare your area for laying the turf before receiving your order! If there is any existing old turf on the area that is not required, remove it with a spade or turf cutter. When this has been completed clear away all remaining large stones, roots, weeds and clods to leave a clean surface.
- Gently dig the entire area where turf will be placed with a fork to about 4-6 inches in depth. If your soil is poor quality you will need to use our blended topsoil to provide the best growing media for your new turf. Re-consolidate by treading, rake over, re-tread, then a final rake to create a level and even surface ready for laying.
- Order your turf by measuring your lawn and add an extra 5-10% to allow for cutting the turf into the lawn. If you plan to build a lawn around circular edges be sure to measure up to the corners of your lawn, additional turf can be cut and disposed of but ensures a neat finish.Turf needs to be laid quickly to stop deteriorating while it is rolled up so choose a delivery date that ensures you can lay your new lawn straight away. Start laying your turf 1 roll at a time, from edge to edge. Be sure to butt the turf up against adjoining strips to minimise gaps and keep a smooth edge. DO NOT walk on your turf as you are laying it, this can damage the surface – use crawling boards to work on as necessary.
- When laying additional rolls of turf stagger the joints, this will help to keep the turf in place while it settles. As you lay each roll gently push the rolls into the soil to establish contact.
- Use a sharp knife to shape the turf as necessary disposing of remaining turf appropriately.
- New lawns need watering regularly while the roots are taking hold. Be sure to water daily for the first few weeks after laying your turf to provide adequate moisture for your new lawn to grow. After a few weeks try pulling up a corner of your new lawn to check on root take.
Top tip: if any gaps appear on the turf, fill with left over topsoil and overseed with grass seed.
Topsoil Screened - Our general purpose topsoil designed to be used in all areas of the garden, for going under turf to borders and anything in-between. A quality screened Kettering Loam, regarded by the professional horticulturalist to have some of the finest growing properties. This is graded by passing soil over our modern screening equipment which removes all large stones and other unwanted material.
3mm Screened Topsoil - Our general purpose topsoil screened to 3mm, designed to be used for finer applications, from going under turf to borders and anything in between. A quality screened Kettering Loam, regarded by the professional horticulturalist to have some of the finest growing properties. This is graded by passing soil over our modern screening equipment which removes all large stones and other unwanted material..